Goose Blind: A History in the Making
Becoming a famous restaurant in Green Lake begins in 1891, when The Lake View Hotel was built on the corner of Gold Street and Hill Street. Over the next 58 years, The Lake View Hotel welcomed tourists to beautiful Green Lake.
In 1949, Floyd and Vi Walker purchased the property and operated it as a hotel and later established a dining room and tavern. In 1962, they built a stand-alone tavern south of the existing hotel. When that was completed, the hotel was torn down. The original hotel site is currently our parking lot.
The Walkers owned the tavern until 1974, when it was purchased by the Scholitzky family. They changed the name of the tavern to The Sportsman’s Inn.
In 1977, Ed & Jackie Liedtke purchased The Sportsman’s Inn and changed the name to the “Duck Blind” after their favorite bar in Iowa. However, since geese are more abundant in Green Lake, the name was modified to the “Goose Blind” a few years later.
In 1985, Mary Rowley purchased the Goose Blind. The bar was remodeled and in April 1986. We began serving homemade pizza after a brick oven kitchen was added. In February 1987, expansion began, increasing the size of the bar and remodeling the entryway. Later, additional space was added to the rear of the building to accommodate a new kitchen and on the north side of the building to expand the dining room. The upper level of the building was then added on to accommodate a banquet facility as well as a venue for live music and entertainment.
The dining room opened in April 1987, offering a diverse menu with a vast array of choices. The upper level of the building, also known as The Upper Deck, opened in June 1987. We now can host private parties of 20 to 225 people. Since that time, we are proud to serve the visitors and residents of Green Lake and the surrounding areas. We hope you stop and enjoy our restaurant in Green Lake.